Tuesday, February 04, 2014

How do we become Mothers with Spiritual Powers?

I have written about one of my favorite mothering books several times before on the blog. You can go here and here to read those posts, they are some of my favorite posts. They remind me that motherhood really is a journey, a journey that is full of ups and downs. Its comforting to read that I was pondering on mothering things all those years ago. It shows me that my work as a mother is never done and that there will never be a point where I know and understand it all, that is why it is so important to keep seeking to find the guidance that the Lord is so ready to give us.


I absolutely LOVE this book. 
I have read it several times and usually it stays on my night stand waiting to be reread.
I just started reading it again and I always find new things to help me in my mothering journey.

In this book she takes different passages of scripture from the Book of Mormon which is Another Testament of Jesus Christ, and applies them to mothering.
 (go here to find out more about the Book of Mormon, go here to read the book, and go here to request a free copy of the Book of Mormon.) 

She takes a total of 24 different scriptures and uses them to show examples of how to Raise a Righteous Family. In the Introduction to her book she says that she could write several more books using all the other scriptures that teach about parenting, that she didn't use in this book.

All my life I have been taught to apply the scriptures to my own life, to liken them unto me.
I have always thought I was pretty good at this. I hear a scripture and I immediately think about how I can use it in my life. But the main key to that was when I HEARD a scripture. If someone taught a lesson about it in church or I heard someone else talk about it then it was easy to liken it unto me. Frankly they did all the work. They read their scriptures and found something that jumped out at them and took that and applied it to their lives, I just piggy backed on their hard work. 


After I started reading this book again I decided to read the Book of Mormon again and this time I decided that I would take a purple pen and mark any scripture that jumped out at me in reference to mothering or parenting. I also bought a separate journal and decided that I would write these scriptures down in my journal, as well as my thoughts on these scriptures, in reference to mothering.
This actually fit in nicely with several of my New Years goals. My first goal was to try harder to be a kinder, more present mother. My second goal was to be more organized in the things I did daily and My third goal was to be better at my scripture studies. 

So in order to try and keep my goals I decided that I would share with ya'll, some of the scriptures that jumped out to me in my reading and what I got from these particular passages of scripture. 
I do really well when given deadlines... if life was all about deadlines I would be doing GREAT. 
So I have decided that I was going to try to have these thoughts posted for ya'll on Mondays. Hopefully being more organized and setting a deadline will actually help me keep this goal. 
Wish me luck!!!

This past week was my first week of this new scripture study and I can say with as much passion as I can portray in writing that it was a very moving week for me.
I found a new passion for scripture study and I kept wishing I could just sit down and read more.
I have been praying a lot lately to find this kind of passion in my scripture reading and I can tell you that my prayers were answered. I have found so many answers and so much joy while reading the scriptures.  I have found the scriptures jumping off the pages and the mothering passages have been so obvious to me, that I often wonder why I never saw them that way before.

Here are a couple of my favorite from this past week:

1. 1 Nephi 1:20 "...... I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender cmercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of ddeliverance."

There are tender mercies every day as a parent, I just need to look for them. When I am having a hard day its easy to get burdened down by all the things that went wrong that day, its a little bit harder sometimes to find the tender mercies. Its important that I really try to see and focus on the tender mercies that the Lord gives me daily. If I can see those tender mercies then I can be delivered from my trials (or my hard days). If I turn to the Lord he will help me through even the roughest of days. He won't necessarily take my trials away but he will give me the strength that I need to make it through them. He will give me that strength by showing me his beautiful tender mercies. 
The other day there was a lot of fighting happening in our house. The kids all seemed to be yelling at each other. Noah and I were frustrated with each other and with the kids and it just felt like one of those days that needed to hurry up and be over. When I told the kids to put on their p.j.'s I went to my room and prayed and asked the Lord to help me be kinder to the kids and to stop yelling at them because it was teaching them that yelling at each other was okay. I came back downstairs and Tayton still did not have his pajama's on. I fussed at him and told him how frustrating it was that he was choosing not to listen to me. I told him that I was having a hard day and that I felt like nobody cared about anything I said to them. He looked at me with his sweet eyes, climbed into my lap and said, "But mommy, 'member that I'm your best friend and you my best friend?' Those sweet words that my 3 year old uttered were so simple and plan and so very tender. I started to cry and I thanked my Father in Heaven for helping me recognize that tender mercy in a moment that I needed it the most. 
The first chapter of Nephi teaches us that Lehi was a righteous man and that he did all the things the Lord asked of him. Lehi and his family had to flee into the wilderness, leaving all their earthly riches behind. And this was AFTER he did all the things that the Lord had asked of him. 
This scripture shows me that we can suffer trials, burdens and great afflictions even after we have done what the Lord has asked of us, but it also tells me that the Lord is always with us and that he will show himself unto us through those tender mercies.
Yesterday in church a friend of mine talked about keeping a Tender Mercies journal. She said that she was started to record, daily, the tender mercies that she saw. I LOVE this idea and think that I am going to add it to my scripture journal too. There is no better way to understand the tender mercies of the Lord, then to look for them in our daily lives, because I can promise you that they are there, its just up to us to see them.

2. 1 Nephi 3:7 " And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I awill go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no bcommandments unto the children of men, save he shall cprepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

This is a passage of scripture that I have been taught my whole life.
I have had this scripture memorized for as long as I can remember and it has always been one of my favorites, but it wasn't until I read it while searching for parenting help that I saw it in a new light.
The lord commanded Adam and Eve to bear children and to raise them up to the Lord, the same commandment is true for us. So if the Lord commanded us to bear children and raise them up unto him then doesn't this scripture say that he will prepare a way for us to accomplish this thing?
Sometimes the motherhood road that we are on can seem very rough and hard. There are parts that are smooth and then there are parts that are just plan difficult to traverse. This scripture tells me that even when the road seems too hard to bear that the Lord will always prepare a way for us to navigate the pathway safely. When we don't have the parenting answers, he will prepare a way for us to find them so that we can accomplish the work that he has commanded us to do. He won't give us any task to complete with out also giving us a way to complete it. 
Now of course there are women out there who have trouble conceiving children and this is trial that they have to bear. I don't have the answer as to why this is their particular trial but I do know that the Lord is with them and that he prepares a way for them to help his children on this earth, whether it be their own children or other peoples children, he will place people in their lives who need their love and guidance. 

3. 1 Nephi 4:6  " And I was aled by the Spirit, not bknowing beforehand the things which I should do."

This scripture jumped out at my in so many ways.
Right now in our life we are making some pretty big life changing decisions. A lot of these decisions has required us to take a giant leap of faith, into the darkness, in the direction that Lord wants us to go with out knowing what the outcome of that leap will be. We don't know exactly what is going to come from these decisions or what steps we will have to take after this but I do know that we are being guided by the Spirit of the Lord and that he will not lead us astray.
The Lord will always guide us. Its up to us to be in tune with the Spirit so that we can let it guide us. We take those steps into the darkness a lot as parents. We take those steps led by faith, not knowing what the outcome will be or knowing whats going to come next. 
We take these steps when we try to guide our children in the right direction. We sometimes take these steps when it comes to trying to provide medical care for our children or finding the right fit in doctors. We take these steps when we are deciding what teachers we think will be best for our children, and when we decide to stay put or to move our family. We take these steps when we decide what consequences we will give to our children when they disobey, and when we try to decide what activities or events we want our children to participate in. 
We are constantly taking these leaps of faith, and taking steps led by the spirit when it comes to parenting our children.
We put all of our faith in God and trust that he loves our children even more then we could possibly imagine and that he will not steer us in the wrong direction when it comes to raising them. 
I lay awake at night, so many nights hoping that I made the right decisions that day and that I took the right steps, in the right direction, making the best decision for my family. 
We are led by the spirit every day and every day we face new challenges that were not there before. Sometimes we face those challenges without any real idea of what the outcome will be of our decision, but we make that decision anyway. It brings me so much comfort knowing that when I make those decisions based on the guidance of the spirit that I am doing those things which the Lord would have me do.

These are only a few of the scriptures that I wrote down, there are so many more but I don't want to bombard you them 100's of scriptures in one post.
Stay tuned for more scriptures next Monday.

No comments: