Monday, September 17, 2012

The best toy EVER


Ever since my oldest was a toddler I knew that boxes held magical powers.
Something about boxes called to my son and instead of playing with what came in the box he would play with the box. 
At first it kind of made me a little upset. I had just spent all this money on the toy and you want the box instead? 
I learned after this happening a few times that the box was just an added bonus to the toy. He still loved the toy but we also got a 2 for 1 type of deal. 
The boxed help fulfill may different dreams of his, while the toy was something he wanted and enjoyed. Boxes have since become one of my favorite parts of the toy. 
I never know what kind of amazing creation that the box will become. I never know where the imaginations of my little children with run too when they get the gift of a box. 
You see, a box is never really a box. A box is a castle being stalked by a fire breathing dragon. Its a space ship that will help the little explorers blast off into outer space. A box is a secret spy lab where there are hidden computers and where secret missions are revealed. A box is a boat taking pirates across treacherous, monster filled waters. Boxes are train cars speeding across the country to take Captain America and Hawk Eye to save the day from some evil villain. 
A box is never a box when you have the imagination of a child. 
A box is the gateway to another world. 
A world full of adventure, magic, bravery, quests, and learning. 

I am grateful for boxes and for all that they teach my children. Some of my favorite days are spend pretending with them and helping their imaginations grow. 
I am grateful that something so simple (and free) like a box can change a kids life for the better.

I was excited about the Giant box that came with our trampoline. I knew that it had many adventures waiting for it.
 


After we emptied the box the boys got to work creating their next magical adventure. This time they were secret agent spies and this was their Headquarters. 
They got tape and markers and stickers and made it into their own special place.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” 
― Neil GaimanA Game of You



These were their secret treasure and spy gear.

They made a computer out of cardboard and wrote letters on it and taped it to the side of the box. Tayton the evil bad guy kept ripping it off, so it was gone before I had the chance to get a picture of it. 

I love how creative they were with this box and all the other boxes. 
I am so glad that all those years ago I realized that the box did not take away from the toy but that it added so much more too it.
“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” 
― Albert Einstein

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.” 
― Albert Einstein


No comments: